Looking Back – Looking Forward
By Vegan Megan
2015 was , in general, a big whopping disappointment when it came to running. The downslope started when I couldn’t run my planned Spring marathon due to health reasons. That missed race led to 3 other registered-but-didn’t-run races. And very spotty training. I felt disjointed and unsure where to take my running. However, there were some bright spots:
- I ran the Sawtooth relay for the first time & loved it! Great team (Hit the Ground Runnin’), beautiful scenery & fun running. Hope to do it again in 2014!
- I ran Double Robie marathon on short notice & compressed training. I trained with a couple of friends which was a new experience & I really enjoyed it.
- I did more trail running than I have in the past and discovered I love trails for 10 miles and less…I don’t see any ultras in the near future (even though I really, really want to run one…just not ready to commit to the training).
- I discovered ENERGYbits and I love them.
- I also discovered twitter chats & people who encourage and support vegan running (including#vegrunchat, #runchat & #ultrachat).
I’m taking the positives into 2014 and leaving the disappointments behind me. So, looking forward, I have 3 goals for the year:
- Develop this blog by posting at least twice per week. By writing about my training, successes, challenges & nutrition I hope to sustain my enthusiasm, look deeper into myself, and have some fun with a community.
- Find a balance with nutrition and exercise. I don’t want to obsess over every calorie I ingest but I also don’t want to mindlessly eat junk. I don’t want to place my self-worth in my pace or race results but I also want to push myself to my limit & reach my goal to BQ. So I’m going to work on finding the middle ground on both fronts where I’ll be happy and healthy.
- Run this year in miles (2014 in 2014!). Having this long-term goal should not only increase my consistency with running but also allow me to focus on something besides races. Even when running slow miles or having a bad race I’ll be working towards the goal.
So that’s it! Looking forward to the year!